Saturday, March 05, 2011

Euphemize Me

Hi lovely people who read my blog (or who will *start* reading my blog)!

Ok, so I stayed up late last night, and had early adoration this morning, which is where this blogpost is coming from, so I apologize for any skips in my train of thought. But there is something about the wee small hours of the morning that catches us off-guard and allows us to dig into our brains for what we're REALLY thinking about.

Now.....that being said, you may expect something profound to follow. If so, you clearly have not seen Finding Nemo and are CLEARLY not associated with how Dorie works. Random thoughts, yes. Profound, rarely.

But my thought is this: We have so many lovely euphemisms for unsightly or awful things in our language. If someone dies, we soften the blow by saying "they passed on". That euphemism gives the illusion of one's death as a sort of floaty passage into a better world. No pain, no suffering. While that can be annoying, it IS the point of euphemisms to make something unpleasant, pleasant. My point of aggravation comes with the word "fart". I know, I know.....it's one of "those" hush-hush, pre-teen-awkward words that, let me say, is just plain awkward. Now, you could argue that I only think it's an awkward word because of the way I was brought up. And to some extent that plays a part. But there is nothing redemptive or un-awkward about the actual word "fart". It rolls off your tongue through your lips in a very unattractive way. Even saying it leaves an unpleasant sensation in your mouth. And the oddity of it all, is that the euphemisms for this word that I have heard are almost more awkward and unpleasant than the word itself!

To date, here are some of the keepers: "To pass gas" (Eww.....), "To 'poot'" (really?), "To putt" (Now I can't go golfing anymore) and......that's it. I'm sure I've heard more, but none come to mind besides those three.

Here's where it gets interesting for you, dear readers. I am challenging YOU all to save our everyday language (because, let's be real....everyone farts at least once a day, or should) by coming up with a word that can serve as a correct euphemism: referring to an unpleasant word by replacing it with a pleasant word.

So as not to taint my adoration hour.....I will put my musings from that in a separate post. Have a happy and joyous Saturday!

- Mona




No comments:

Post a Comment